Did you know all it takes is four minutes a day to keep your teeth nice and healthy? It’s true! Two minutes in the morning and two minutes before you go to bed are all that’s needed to keep your teeth in tip top shape. When it comes to brushing your teeth, it’s all about the quality of your brushing that matters, not the length of time you spend doing it. Here’s a quick tutorial from Your RB dentist in Norfolk VA to help you get the most from your brushing habit.
4 Tips to Proper Brushing
Proper brushing technique can be broken down into four simple steps.
- The toothbrush should be held at a 45-degree angle to the gums
- The toothbrush should be moved back and forth in short strokes
- The outer surfaces, inner surfaces, and chewing surfaces of the teeth should all be brushed
- When brushing the inside surfaces of the teeth, tilt the brush so you’re brushing vertically, in up and down strokes
You should be brushing your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes per brushing. You should be using a soft bristled brush and one that is appropriately sized for your mouth. You should replace your toothbrush every three months or sooner if the bristles start showing signs of fraying. And, you should always use an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste for the best cavity-fighting results.
3 Complements to Good Brushing Habits
As important as good brushing is, it is not the only factor in keeping a mouth full of healthy teeth. Other things you’ll want to focus on include:
- Flossing between your teeth daily to clean the parts of your teeth the toothbrush can’t reach
- Eating a balanced diet, avoiding sticky-sweets, and limiting between meal snacks
- Visiting your dentist in Norfolk VA at regularly scheduled intervals for routine cleanings and exams
Make RB Dentistry Your Dentist in Norfolk VA and Enjoy a Sparkling Smile
There’s nothing better than a wonderful smile. And the first step to getting a smile you can be proud of is to brush every day, at least twice. Seeing your dentist routinely is another important step to a sparkling white smile, so why wait? Call for a dental appointment today with RB Comprehensive and Cosmetic Dentistry. We have three locations in the Hampton Roads area, so we have an office conveniently located near you. Call RB Comprehensive Dentistry today at 757-466-1700 to schedule an appointment with our dentist in Norfolk VA and we’ll help you get the smile you deserve.